Summer
I really can't believe that we only have a little over a week left of summer.. and most of our friends have already started their school year.. our school is supposed to start next week, but we get 1 more week due to furlough days that the district is doing in order to cut back on the budget.
This summer I had such high expectations on things I wanted to do.. places to take the kids.. it seems like this summer has gone by super fast! We traveled to Minnesota and had an awesome time, but for the most part, when I was home I felt rushed from one thing to another.. not really accomplishing what I wanted to do! So I was really looking forward to a quality camping trip with just our little family.. so we did just that.. we got a nice little spot right here in Dana Point.. it was great!!! We invited Granny to come hang out with us too.. we played baseball, football, had hot dogs, s'mores, hung out by the fire, etc..


But on the 1st night.. when Mark and I climbed into our tent for the night.. Drew had thrown up all over himself.. and did just that for the rest of the night.. He did wake up fine the next morning.. so we rented a bike.. put the kids in the front {basket thing} and biked around the beach area.. then played some more baseball and football, but we had to get back for Garrett's football practice.. then we had 1 night free of sickness.. until the following night.. Garrett got it.. which was a huge disappointment.. I didn't get to do what I wanted to do this week with them.. thankfully I have 1 more week.. and with the boys being sick this week... it slowed me down enough to think!
We don't have to do it all.. I don't have to do it all.. my priority is my family.. and I need to pay less attention to what I think others expect of me.. my friends are my friends and will be there regardless... time has already flown by so fast.. I mean look at this summer.. I spent the majority of the time frustrated cause I was late to the next thing.. or my laundry was pilled high.. or I spent whole Saturdays editing pictures instead of playing with my kids.. I mean after all my BABY is going to Kindergarten.. if I don't change the way I am spending my time.. or stop wasting my time thinking about what others say or think about me.. I am going to miss what is important.. its the legacy you leave behind that matters the most {isn't that in a country song.. I like it.. I just don't know the exact words} I have taken on too much.. I have worried to often that people are mad at me.. I feel like I have gone out of my way to please others at the expense of my own legacy the ones that will be left behind once I am gone.. and its not too late for me to wake up and change that.. and that is exactly what I am doing!
These are the moments that make me smile.. I am so blessed to have 1 amazing man & 2 amazing little men to spend my time with.. no more rushing around.. time to slow down and enjoy!




2 comments:
I totally agree 100%!! I really admire you for thinking introspectively about your life and your role within your family. About a year ago I started thinking seriously about how I spend my time, and where all my energy was going. And I realized that just like anything else, wherever a person puts the most time, the most investment, the most passion into, is what will grow and flourish in that persons life. Then I realized that I DEEPLY want that to be my kids and husband! Not that I ever doubted that, but it's just so easy to get off track and start investing way too much time and mental energy into things that really don't matter in the end.
Anyway, to get on with my point...GO Jen! You are an awesome mama!
awww thanks friend.. you are an awesome Mama too!
Post a Comment